Pictures from: In Perfect Formation by Jay Hatheway
The Reichsführerschule der SS Bad Tölz was constructed between 1936 and 1941 and became operational in October 1937. It was and the remaining buildings still are, located just south of the Bavarian spa town of Bad Tölz on the B472 (the road running across the front of the buildings).
Bad Tölz is about 30 miles south of Munich and the location was seemingly chosen because it had both good transport links and was in an inspiring location. The design and construction of the school was intended to impress the staff, students, visitors and passers-by; it succeeded in 1940 and is still impressive today.
In the context of Oradour, two of the instructors who were based here were Adolf Diekmann and Sylvester Stadler.
The two pictures shown below are taken looking south towards the Benediktenwand mountains and the Austrian border, the minor road to Munich is on the left of view. Note the archway over the entrance, this had been removed in June 2004.
© Michael Williams July 2004