The new Catholic Church of Oradour
The church in the new (post 1953) Oradour.
It is in this building that the statue of St. Bernadette
(of Lourdes) that was recovered from the burnt-out
original church, is displayed. The crane in the distance is
being used to help construct the Centre de la Mémoire which opened in April 1999 (this
picture was taken in June 1998). The ruins are to the left of the crane and are hidden by
the buildings. The new Town Hall and the village centre are to the rear of the
photographer. As can be seen, there are signs of damp / mould visible on
the walls over the entrance and these eventually led to
major repair work starting in 2017.
Back to Picture Gallery
Back to Home Page
© Michael Williams: June 1998, revised August 2018