The original undamaged church at Oradour, taken after the coming of the tram and dating from about 1930. The road to the left of the picture is the D9 leading to Limoges and it is along this route that the SS entered the village. The non-combustible nature of the roof tiles can be appreciated in this view. The solid stone construction of the church makes it virtually impossible for fire to have spread from the surrounding houses as claimed by some people. The only way the church could have burned down with over 400 people inside it was as a result of violence.
© Michael Williams: revised February 2004