View across the Centre de la Mémoire towards Oradour new village
This view shows clearly that the Centre de la Mémoire in Oradour-sur-Glane is mostly hidden at ground level, it being largely subterranean in construction. The visible parts of the Centre are all clad in rusty iron, so as to give a feeling of age and the passage of time. The ruins of Oradour are to the right of view and the new village, built in the early 1950's is straight ahead. Note that the church, as is often the case, is on the left at the entrance to the village.
© Michael Williams November 2005