The Post Office in 1944
Compare this view taken in late 1944 with that of the present day building, to see the effects of weathering and repair work on the ruins of Oradour-sur-Glane over the last 60 years. It is obvious that both the central chimney stack and the rendering on the upper story have both disappeared over time, probably in the interests of safety for visitors to the ruins. This does illustrate the difficulty of trying to preserve the past exactly as it was. As time goes by, originality is unfortunately lost and eventually the only thing left is memory.
© Michael Williams: April 2007