Panorama of ruined cars behind church
This photograph, taken of a garage area behind the church in Oradour-sur-Glane shows a group of ruined and burned cars which were laid-up in the village due to a lack of petrol for civilian use during the war. As can be seen, they were subsequently robbed of many parts in an attempt to keep other vehicles going in the post-war years. One of the surprises in Oradour is to see the quite large number of cars dotted about the village in different locations and to realise that just because this was a relatively poor farming area, it did not prevent quite widespread car ownership in the late 1930's.
© Michael Williams: December 2009